Information for Patients Undergoing a Surgery or Procedure during COVID-19
For your health and the safety of staff, we want to ensure you minimize your chance of getting COVID-19 in the time leading up to your surgery/procedure. Please follow the below instructions. Click here for the PDF version to print at home.
Socially Minimize Yourself Before Your Procedure/Surgery
Keep yourself away from others to minimize the risk of being exposed to COVID-19. If you must leave your house please wear a mask, wash your hands often and practice physical distancing from others. For tips please visit the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Pubic Health Unit website - https://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/
Monitor Your Symptoms - ask your self, daily, how do I feel?
Symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- Decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny nose or nasal congestion
- Difficulty swallowing
- Muscle aches
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
Immediately notify your surgeon if you, or anyone in your house, feel any of the above symptoms or are diagnosed with COVID-19. Please know that your surgery could be cancelled any time prior to your scheduled appointment if you are ill or experiencing symptoms.
Day of Procedure:
- Plan to have a support person to drop you off at the hospital ER entrance
- Here you will be greeted by a staff member who will screen you for COVID-19 and provide you with a mask that you must wear
- Bring minimal belongings and leave valuables at home
- Please have available the name and phone number of the caregiver picking you up after your surgery/procedure - this person must be readily available to pick you up after being called (within a half-hour)
- Please note you will be asked COVID-19 screening questions by your physician office before your appointment and the day you arrive for your appointment
In order to ensure the safety of our patients and staff, there are no visitors allowed. Special exceptions are made for children and those who require special support. This means any family members or companions will not be able to accompany you on the day of your procedure/surgery. This is an important precaution to ensure the safety of all of our patients and staff.
Hygiene Tips to Use During COVID-19:
- Wash hands often - for at least 15 seconds each time
- Wear a mask when you leave your home
- Practice physical distancing - 6 ft. apart
- Disinfect high touch surfaces