April 24, 2018
New Groves Hospital Update
Fergus, ON…The New Groves Memorial Community Hospital (GMCH) construction is moving along despite weather challenges.
“Concrete super structure pours are ongoing, despite the poor weather conditions, and should be completed by the end of May.” states Dan Brzak, Senior Manager Capital Projects, GMCH. “As soon as the slab concrete has cured, the steel frame for the Mechanical and Electrical penthouse will start to take shape that will allow the start of the heating and cooling systems to be installed.
“The masonry crews have started to lay concrete block infill between the concrete structure that will allow for windows and doors to be installed and “weather seal” the building. With this the interior work like partition walls and mechanical and electrical systems can start to be installed.
“As community members walk past the new Hospital site, along the Elora Cataract Trail, people will see a partial exterior wall rise in the middle of the field.” states Dale Clement, Senior Vice-President Redevelopment and Transition, GMCH. “This partial wall is part of an exterior mock-up to ensure that the exterior wall system, that will finally be installed on the building, meets all of the energy code requirements.”
Highlights of the new Groves Hospital include:
- an emergency department with a larger foot print to support patient care
- more space in ambulatory services and diagnostic imaging to accommodate our growing community
- larger inpatient rooms with family areas
- enhanced technology to support patient care views of the surrounding rural landscape from all patient rooms, including the Grand River and extensive trail network
- modernized infection control measures, including additional isolation facilities, to enhance the hospital's ability to respond to infections or disease outbreak
- an onsite helipad to allow for faster access to patient transfers by air ambulancelarge windowed areas that allow natural light to penetrate deep into the building and ultimately connect the interior with the outside
Lori Arsenault, Executive Director of the Groves Hospital Foundation stated “fundraising for the new hospital is going very well and recently exceeded $16M (80% to $20M Goal) thanks to the incredible support and generosity of the community.”
We welcome the public to follow along the new Groves Hospital construction with any of the following links below:
- Drone Videos of Construction Progress are available on the home page of the Groves Hospital website at www.gmch.ca
- Follow the Groves Foundation Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/GrovesHospitalFoundation/
- Follow us on Instagram – groveshospital and/or Twitter @GrovesGmch
- Have a question about the new hospital – email us at: NewGroves@gmch.fergus.net
Alison Armstrong, Communications and Stakeholder Relations
Groves Memorial Community Hospital