Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM) Nurse
(Temporary Full Time)
A temporary full time position is available within the GEM Program effective January 2019.
GEM Nurses provide expert clinical resources in the Hospital & Emergency Departments. Their focus is on frail seniors who are at risk of adverse events, loss of independence and admission to hospital or long term care. GEM Nurses provide expert and targeted assessment and treatment in the Emergency Department linking community resources for the seniors they serve. The role also supports education and capacity building for staff across the Hospital with regards to Seniors Care and Senior Friendly principles. The GEM Nurses also collaborate with the Hospital Elder Life Program to enhance Seniors Friendly care throughout the Hospital.
- Implement standardized protocols to screen and assess high risk seniors in the Emergency Department
- Provide assessments, consultation and advice to help facilitate emergency department care including acute symptoms, underlying health conditions, function, emotional and cognitive status, home environment issues and home supports
- Initiate appropriate referrals and recommendations including Specialized Geriatric Services in collaboration with the Emergency Department team
- Assist in strengthening linkages with community services such as primary care, specialized geriatric services, community support services, CCAC and long term care
- Develop innovative solutions to address concerns to address at risk patients
- Educate patients, families and staff both formally and informally regarding Seniors Care
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives related to Senior’s Friendly Hospital initiatives and ED care
- Work collaboratively with WW GEM Nurses to provide support, education and sharing of ideas to promote Senior’s Friendly care
- Participate in the GEM Liaison Group and the Regional Geriatric Program
- Facilitate geriatrician consultations through videoconferencing for patients in order to increase access to this specialty service.
- Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Post-baccalaureate education (Masters in Nursing or Health Related degree preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years experience in geriatric/seniors and/or emergency services
- Gerontological Nursing Certification with the Canadian Nurses Association or willingness to obtain
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills including conflict resolution and managing family dynamics
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and teaching skills
- Advanced knowledge of the nursing process, the consultation process, program planning, research methodology and crisis management
- Able to function collaboratively within the interprofessional team
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates professionalism in the workplace at all times
- Knowledge of principles of adult learning, Seniors Friendly Care, Ethics in Practice and Knowledge Transfer
- Able to liaison with multiple partners and collaborate to develop a comprehensive care plan for complex seniors
- Able to utilize technology including word processing, dictation systems, internet, PACS and other modalities
HOURS OF WORK:
- Days - 8 hour shifts
- Availability for every other weekend
EXTERNAL applicants may apply to email@example.com and are considered only after the internal posting process has been completed. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. Quote job posting # 2018-178 in the subject line.
Groves Memorial Community Hospital strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, the hospital will endeavour to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities.
Groves Memorial Community Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a safe, healthy and respectful workplace for all employees, free from violence and harassment.